יום רביעי, 6 ביוני 2018

Get off the Box!

This time I was teaching prepositions. Showing them with my hands, playing games, drawing on the board, learning with all the senses. But some kids are stubborn and want to learn the way they learn in school - "Just translate everything into Hebrew"

I could start telling them how sensory learning has proven to be more effective and how word-for-word translations, especially with words like prepositions, are the cause of many errors, but in this case I had a much better and quicker argument. Here's what happens when we translate:

over - מעל
under - מתחת
on - על
off - ?

There really is no correct translation in this case for the word "off". The only way to explain it is to SHOW THEM. Like any concept that doesn't exist in one's native language, it's still difficult for them to grasp, especially when they're searching for the Hebrew word in their head. To understand "off the box" students need to think outside the box, and more hours of memorizing lists of words won't help. Creativity in the English classroom, as well as any classroom, doesn't just make lessons fun. It opens students' minds to allow them to absorb and understand new concepts and formulate their own ideas. 

Over the years I've created songs, games and other materials for English teachers to use, and of course used them myself with hundreds of students. I've had a lot of success, but also some frustration. Sometimes I find myself giving proverbial nuts to people whose creative teeth have been worn down by a standardized system. 

So now I'm going back to my musical and dramatic roots to develop a new program which will take them on a journey "outside the box" and develop the creative thinking necessary for English language expression

If you would like to hear more, please fill out the following short survey, or pass it on to those who might benefit:
English

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה